Introduction: The medical insurance situation in the state of Maine does not significantly differ from most of the states of America. In accordance to a survey conducted by Center for Disease Control, 10.7% of the total Maine population did not get Maine health insurance, between 2001 and 2003.
In the following abstract, we have discussed some important aspects of Maine health insurance that include state regulations for Maine health insurance as well as a brief discussion on Maine health insurance alternative programs. A comprehensive list of major Maine health insurance companies are also concluded in the article. Hopefully, the article would help Maine residents to make an idea about health insurance situation of their state.
Some important regulations for Maine Health Insurance
The state government of Maine has introduced some guidelines that the Maine health insurance companies should strictly abide by. These guidelines or regulations are especially created to supervise the state's overall health insurance situation and to regulate activities of the Maine health insurance companies. The regulations are talked about, below:
- All Maine health insurance plans should have a guaranteed provision for renewal. This guaranteed renewability provision lets the Maine residents renew their existing health insurance policy. However, they should make sure that they have disbursed all the premiums, on time and provided no fake information to the health insurance company, throughout the course of their on hand medical insurance plan.
- Maine health insurance companies can inflict a waiting period for a pre-existing medical condition.
- As per Maine state laws, a pre-existing medical condition may be considered as an illness for which an individual has been previously diagnosed or otherwise treated within 12 months, prior to beginning of new Maine health insurance plan.
- Continuous coverage is also possible for a pre-existing medical condition. The existing Maine health insurance plan can be credited to new Maine health insurance plan for pre-existing medical condition waiting period; if and only if there is no breakage in insurance coverage during the course of exiting medical insurance policy.
- Rules of medical insurance in Maine are firmer than other states of America.
- Maine health insurance companies can't refuse access to Maine health insurance, depending on the health condition, risk-value or age of an individual.
- “Community rating” is a specialty of Maine health insurance. It restricts Maine health insurance companies from hiking rate of premiums, indefinitely; on the basis of age and gender of an individual.
- Maine medical insurance costs can differ according to the age, family size and demographics.
- Along with other health insurance policies, every Maine health insurance company should offer any of two state-standardized Maine medical insurance policies to every applicant.
- Maine residents that belong to an employer Maine medical insurance policy can't be refused to get insurance coverage. Moreover, they can enjoy unlimited coverage.
- Self-employed Maine residents can opt for buying group Maine medical insurance.
Maine Health Insurance Alternative Options
There are some state-aided health insurance options available in the state of Maine. Maine individuals, who are otherwise considered as “uninsurable” or unable to afford Maine medical insurance, can take advantage of these state health insurance alternative programs. The programs are discussed below:
- MaineCare: This is actually Maine Medicaid program that has taken over previous CubCare program. This state program is available to the Maine residents who qualify all the eligibility as well as income criteria. Since, MaineCare has taken over CubCare program; it also offers insurance coverage to the children, teens and pregnant women of all ages. Parents, whose family-units are not eligible for Medicaid program or unable to afford Maine health insurance, are also entitled to take advantage of this state program.
- The Dirigo Health Plan: Small business (with less than 50 staffs), individuals and self-employed individuals can buy Maine health insurance through The Dirigo Health Plan.
Maine Health Insurance Companies
The list of top Maine health insurance companies, as provided by Maine Department of Insurance, is as follows:
- Assurant Inc. Group
- Aetna Health
- Connecticut General Life Ins.
- CIGNA Health Group
- Harvard Community Health Plan Group
- Guardian Life Ins. Co. of America
- UICI Group
- Anthem Wellpoint Inc. Group
- United Healthcare Ins. Group
Maine Department of Insurance
For more information on Maine health insurance, you can contact at the office of Maine Department of Insurance, at the following address:
Department of Professional and Financial Regulation
Bureau of Insurance
#34 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0034
Telephone No: (207) 624-8475
Fax No: (207) 624-8599
Toll-Free No: (800) 300-5000