Introduction: Tennessee medical insurance condition is not so dissatisfactory, in respect to the overall health insurance condition of the United States. In accordance to a survey, conducted by The Center for Disease Control, more than 11% of the total Tennessee residents did not get any coverage under any Tennessee medical insurance plan per year, between 2001 and 2003.
In the below-mentioned abstract, we have provided information on Tennessee medical insurance regulations and Tennessee medical insurance alternative programs.
Regulations for Tennessee Medical Insurance
Tennessee has some regulations that the Tennessee medical insurance companies must follow:
- A Tennessee individual having coverage under an employer or group Tennessee medical insurance plan can not be refused or restricted access to that plan, depending on health status.
- Tennessee individuals, only except HIPAA qualified individuals, looking for individual Tennessee medical insurance can be refused or restricted to get coverage, on the basis of age, health and other criteria.
- Tennessee medical insurance plans should have a guaranteed provision for renewal. Guaranteed renewability provision allows Tennessee residents, who have disbursed all the premiums in time and provided no fake information, to renew their existing plan.
- Tennessee health insurance companies are required to offers health insurance options to the HIPAA qualified Tennessee individuals.
- The Tennessee insurers should offer minimum two kinds of standard policies (low and high).
- They should also offer any two of their most popular medical insurance policies.
- They too should provide an option of any of the individual Tennessee medical insurance plans, offered by them.
- Tennessee medical insurance organizations can inflict elimination riders and pre-existing medical condition waiting period.
- Elimination riders can exclude coverage for medical conditions, body systems or body parts, even permanently for the entire duration of Tennessee medical insurance policy.
- As per Tennessee health insurance law, a pre-exiting condition is an illness, for which an individual has been treated, received medical advice, otherwise diagnosed, or, should have been so, before commencement of a new health insurance plan.
- Tennessee health insurers can impose a pre-existing waiting period for no more than 2 years.
- The Tennessee medical insurance organizations are allowed any coverage for those conditions during the term of waiting period.
- Tennessee health insurers are not allowed to implement pre-existing waiting period on HIPAA qualified Tennessee individuals.
- Tennessee health insurance companies consider pregnancy as a pre-existing medical condition and so, subject to exclusion period.
- All adopted children and newborns should get coverage under parent's individual Tennessee medical insurance plans that offer coverage for the dependants. However, they can be covered automatically for initial 31 days from the day of adoption or birth.
- Disabled and handicapped dependants are eligible to be covered under parent's health insurance policies, even beyond the decided upper age limit.
- Tennessee medical insurance cost can differ on health, age, family size and other criteria. The medical insurance companies can charge higher for an individual belongs to higher risk group.
- Tennessee individuals between health insurance plans or employers are able to access temporary Tennessee medical insurance plans.
Tennessee Medical Insurance Alternative Options
Tennessee has a program named TennCare that helps Tennessee individuals facing problems having individual Tennessee medical insurance, get coverage. The services offered by the program are as follows:
- Tennessee Medicaid to the qualified individuals.
- Low-income healthcare options to the qualified Tennessee individuals.
- Children's health insurance program to the children and teens belong to the families, which are ineligible for Tennessee Medicaid or unable to afford the cost of Tennessee medical insurance.
Tennessee Department of Insurance
For more information on Tennessee medical insurance, you can contact at the following address:
Tennessee Insurance Division
500 James Robertson Pkwy
Nashville, TN 37243